Re: Crypt data "on the fly"

On 07/06/14 15:23, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 02:13:23PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
differentiates it from random noise. For some people, being able to
prove that data was encrypted is enough of a problem (I live in a
country where my government can force me to reveal my keys - refusing
or forgetting results in a prison term).

Contempt of court? I "think" that is fairly standard practice.

In England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, section 53 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 makes failure to comply with a notice under section 49 of the same Act a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment for up to two years (or five years if the matter to which the section 49 notice related was a matter of national security or child indecency) and a fine.

Authorization to issue section 49 notices is not solely in control of the courts, so contempt of court is not necessarily applicable.