Re: upgrade? broke exim4 [SOLVED] Addendum

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 05:13:59PM -0700, Mike McClain wrote:

>     Back in February I ran across a note on the Debian Wiki that turning
> off ipv6 would speed up Iceweasel which is a real dog on dialup. With
> that in mind I put this 'net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 = 1' in
> /etc/sysctl.conf.
>     Setting it to 0 and rerunning 'sysctl -p' got my fetchmail/exim4
> connection working again.
>
>     Now I guess I need to figure out if I can tell exim not to use ipv6
> and if so how.

root@/deb73:~> ed /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
    #dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1 ; ::1'
    dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
root@/deb73:~> update-exim4.conf
root@/deb73:~> service exim4 restart
    now exim4 NOT listening on ::1:25 only 127.0.0.1:25
root@/deb73:~> ed /etc/sysctl.conf
    net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 = 1
root@/deb73:~> sysctl -p

Sent myself emails through my ISP both as root and mike.
Rebooted just to double check and am able to retrieve mail
so I think the problem is really solved and Iceweasel won't be slowed
down by checking for nonexistant ipv6 traffic.

Thanks again to you friendly helpers,
Mike
--
Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.