Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

On 2014-06-02 18:33:30 +0100, Brian wrote:
> Fair enough. Now, if only users were advised to use .Xdefaults-<hostname>
> or .Xresources. Instead the choice is always .Xdefaults or .Xresources.
> As I think we are agreed, one of these doesn't work. Ok, it can be made
> to work; for example I've seen linking .Xresources and .Xdefaults as a
> solution but have never quite grasped why .Xresource by itself is
> unsatisfactory.

The drawback with .Xresources is that it is taken into account only
at X startup time (or when the user runs xrdb).

But I prefer another solution: I have set $XAPPLRESDIR and
$XFILESEARCHPATH to $HOME/.app-defaults, copied /etc/X11/app-defaults
to $HOME/.app-defaults, and now use that. The advantage (for me) is
that the defaults from /etc/X11/app-defaults are no longer read, so
that it is easier to change them (without root access). Overriding
the defaults didn't always work because there are sometimes several
ways to express the same thing.