Re: Crypt data "on the fly"

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:21:03 +0200
"L.M.J" <linuxmasterjedi@free.fr> wrote:

> Le Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:38:17 +0200,
> Filip <filip@fbvnet.be> a écrit :
>
> > I like to keep things simple.
> > I just create encrypted archives on the local disk with dar
> > and then push them remote server with rsync.
> >
> > Dar encrypts and compresses the data, slices it up in nice
> > managable archive files, and keeps all extended attributes intact.
> > I can also create incremental backups. You could do the same with
> > tar but it would be a bit more complex.
>
> I will check it out, require to double the space before upload.
> Problem : I change a file, run DAR, it will slices data into new
> archive files, since that's binary, it will rsync everything again,
> no ? I guess i will loose the "rsync granularity"...

Yes, dar creates new archive files on each run. But you can create an
incremental backup with only the changes.

I have a script that creates a full backup ones per week, and an
incremental backup relative to the weekly full backup on other days.
I delete archives older than one month.

That's enough for my needs, but you can implement any backup scheme with
it however, with multiple levels of incremental backup.