Re: Crypt data "on the fly"

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 18:32:30 +0200
"L.M.J" <linuxmasterjedi@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   This may be a nasty/bad idea, but I still ask :
>   I sync my data to a cloud storage online service. I do NOT want to
> crypt my 60GB data at home, but I want them crypted on the cloud, so,
> when I rsync the data, I would like to send encrypted files on the
> fly. I want to have encrypted files, not rsync a 60GB encrypted
> partition.
>
>   Any ideas ?
>
>  Thanks

I like to keep things simple.
I just create encrypted archives on the local disk with dar
and then push them remote server with rsync.

Dar encrypts and compresses the data, slices it up in nice
managable archive files, and keeps all extended attributes intact. I can
also create incremental backups. You could do the same with tar but it
would be a bit more complex.