Re: Cloning hdds of different sizes

On May 29, 2014 7:50 PM, "Steve Litt" <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:34:12 +0100
> Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com> wrote:
>
> > On 28/05/14 21:02, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > > If you want to expand a partition to include the unallocated space,
> > > I think you have to use whatever partition butts up against the
> > > unallocated space to make bigger. If there's a tool to enlarge a
> > > different partition and move the others to compensate, I"m not
> > > aware of it.
> > gparted can do this.
>
> Cool! Everything the OP asked for, in two simple steps.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>

> --

Awesome!

Thank everyone for your responses. And sorry for not replying sooner. The thing is, I forgot to mention that I had one more partition. Some /mnt/data0 drive where I was keeping some backups and photos.

I used dd from an older Knoppix 7.0 I found at hand when I started.
dd was running like so: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda.

In another lxterm tab, I left a while true kill -SIGUSR1 (PID_of_dd) and sleep 300 to see its progress.

However, when I woke up (was getting ready to leave for my parents place), I saw that the lxterminal window was gone, and so was the lxde taskbar, buttons. As I was in a rush, I didn't think much of that, pressed ctrl+alt+f1, turned off, removed 250gb drive and turned on the computer to see the result.
As pointed, Debian did boot, however I noticed that the data partition was not imaged completely (lxde/lxterm crash). This is because when I did an ls /mnt/data0 I got the following:

ls: cannot access /mnt/data0/backup: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /mnt/data0/hdd mic: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /mnt/data0/iso_library: Input/output error
ls: cannot access /mnt/data0/download: Input/output error

I wasn't able to identify any other issues, however this looks bad enough.

So again, thank everyone for the valuable suggestions, however I will now have to redo the process again, and this time I think I will use ddrescue. (I do get the second chance since, in a rush, I removed the hdd, closed the computer case, booted, etc; when I grabbed the hdd I took an older 80 GB ATA drive that was on my desk instead of the 250 GB SATA.)

Best regards,