Re: Assange and NSA

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
[threading fixed]
> Am 27.05.2014 16:21, schrieb Diogene Laerce:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I missed the thread : I wasn't there for a while but I would like to
>> have your advice on that article :
>>
>> http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/
>>
> Wrong thread people!

Thread?

> Look for a mailinglist where "politics, Unidentified Flying Objects,
> world theories" are subject.

Oh. You mean, "Wrong mailing list!"

But,

> This is the DEBIAN LINUX Mailinglist....  OMG!

Oh, My Goodness, the question seems to have been, "Are the reports
that Debian has rolled over to the NSA correct?"

Although it might have been, "How am I supposed to interpret the
headline in light of the contents saying something else?"

FUD? As many others have noted, the headline was most assuredly so.

Troll? Possibly.

Off topic on the Debian user list? I think not.

FWIW, I'm of the camp that

(1) money does not make a good promise, especially when source is
closed and accountability is thus impeded.

(2) Open source provides a much better basis of accountability.

(3) Life has no guarantees.

Plus a couple more points which are a bit apocalyptic/religious in
nature, such as, neither the ipod nor the android are the white stone
John mentioned, just a poor imitation thereof.

Debian seems to me to be as safe as any of the LInux distros.

Case in point: I'm a bit frustrated about the systemd mess, but it's
clear that the developers are using proper engineering principles here
in testing/adopting it, as opposed to certain other distros, and also
as opposed to certain hotheads (just a few, really) who have sometimes
come onto this list to push the idea that systemd should be pulled in
and backported and forced on everyone, as is.

In other words, it's not perfect. (No surprise. Nothing in this world
is.) But it's better than many of the alternatives, relative to
subverting it for spying purposes, etc.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.