Re: fastest linux distro

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 02:24:32PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> debian over ubuntu hands down for speed and for efficient resources
> utilization. it's a harder install, but for me well worth the extra
> work.
>
> On 1/24/14, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.
> >

> > System:
> >
> > Dell latitude D630
> > dual core
> > 2g memory
> >

> > most used applications:
> >
> > icewm
> > gnome-terminal
> > vim
> > perl
> > chrome browser
> > transmission
> >

> > Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of it.
> >
> > Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Any distro you strip down to basics will be faster.
It depends on what you run on it.
I have Debian with openbox, no DE, and it flies at warp speed
(esp. on my desktop, 4x2.8ghz with 16gb ram), but also on an old Dell d420
laptop I got used on ebay (only 750mhz with 1.5gb ram).
But any distro you load up with bloat (gnome, kde, desktop animations
crap), is going to get bogged down in comparison.
Looks like you're running a light system, but if you installed default
ubuntu then just added icewm, you might have extra, unnecessary garbage
running underneath.
Try Debian with netinstall and only install what you want/need.
If you already did similar with the ubuntu, I'm not sure how much of a
difference you will see. I haven't used Ubuntu since Dapper Drake.
jwm, openbox, wmii, tritium, etc., are window managers that might reduce
your load.

Tony

--
https://tonybaldwin.info