Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hmm. The OP claimed that VLC didn't seem to do what he needs, which is
> one reason I didn't investigate it more closely; possibly he just didn't
> check out all the options closely enough?

Maybe. There are, as Mercury and Thespis put it, a thundering lot of
them. I didn't know about -Z until today :)

>> Interestingly, the playlist still seems to be in the order the
>> arguments were provided (on my system, that means sorted by bash,
>> since bash does the glob expansion), but at the end of each track,
>> VLC goes to a random track rather than to the next one. It does seem
>> to be consistent, though; hitting 'n' a few times jumps around and
>> then loops, and finally repeats the same sequence.
>
> That's the "right way" to do random play, IMO, though I've yet to devise
> an algorithm for doing it properly that seems both clean and functional
> to my eye.

As opposed to shuffling the displayed list of tracks? I'm not sure. If
you shuffle the display as well as the playback, you keep the two
consistent, so you can see how far you are through the playlist. This
way, you won't know when you've looped. Which is better?

ChrisA