Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mi, 28 mai 14, 21:57:32, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> > Stephen Allen said that Shotwell can do both, and Joe Zien said that
>> > Gwenview can as well. You might look at one of those.
>>
>> Also: I just ran VLC on a directoryful of jpgs, and it happily played
>> me a slideshow with ten seconds per frame. Mixing up media types seems
>> to work fine:
>
> [...]
>
>> Randomizing is left as an exercise for the reader, though.
>
> vlc has a lot of command-line options, -Z/--random seems interesting ;)

... wow. So it is. Andrei, I hope you parked Guido's time machine back
in its proper place, he might need it again.

I expect all readers to get an A+ on this exercise.

So, uhh... Here's my recommendation: Use "vlc -Z some-directory/*", job done! :)

Interestingly, the playlist still seems to be in the order the
arguments were provided (on my system, that means sorted by bash,
since bash does the glob expansion), but at the end of each track, VLC
goes to a random track rather than to the next one. It does seem to be
consistent, though; hitting 'n' a few times jumps around and then
loops, and finally repeats the same sequence.

By the way, I recommend either -L/--loop or --play-and-exit (or the
equivalent config options). A script that runs "vlc --play-and-exit
blah blah; sudo shutdown -P now" would mean the device powers down at
the end of the playlist.

ChrisA