Re: media 'slideshow': movies + pictures

On 05/28/2014 08:41 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mi, 28 mai 14, 21:57:32, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Also: I just ran VLC on a directoryful of jpgs, and it happily
>>> played me a slideshow with ten seconds per frame. Mixing up media
>>> types seems to work fine:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Randomizing is left as an exercise for the reader, though.
>>
>> vlc has a lot of command-line options, -Z/--random seems
>> interesting ;)
>
> ... wow. So it is. Andrei, I hope you parked Guido's time machine
> back in its proper place, he might need it again.
>
> I expect all readers to get an A+ on this exercise.
>
> So, uhh... Here's my recommendation: Use "vlc -Z some-directory/*",
> job done! :)

Hmm. The OP claimed that VLC didn't seem to do what he needs, which is
one reason I didn't investigate it more closely; possibly he just didn't
check out all the options closely enough?

> Interestingly, the playlist still seems to be in the order the
> arguments were provided (on my system, that means sorted by bash,
> since bash does the glob expansion), but at the end of each track,
> VLC goes to a random track rather than to the next one. It does seem
> to be consistent, though; hitting 'n' a few times jumps around and
> then loops, and finally repeats the same sequence.

That's the "right way" to do random play, IMO, though I've yet to devise
an algorithm for doing it properly that seems both clean and functional
to my eye.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.