Re: Error message: Possible missing firmware during linux-image upgrade

On Mon, 5/26/14, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Error message: Possible missing firmware during linux-image upgrade
 To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Monday, May 26, 2014, 8:30 AM

> I happen to have Realtek RTL8111/8168B Gigabit card which works flawlessly with any Debian kernel starting with Squeeze's backported 3.1.

How does one find out if the Realtek Gigabit card is 8168B, 8168A, 8168E....?

> Every time the kernel boots it complains about missing rtl8168e-3.fw, yet everything just works™.

It happens to my machine too. During bootup, it tells me that the firmware-realtek is missing and yet I am able to use it for networking. Strange.

> And I don't want to load this blob into my card as it might as well setup port mirroring to the nearest NSA datacenter

Are you serious? Realtek is a Taiwanese manufacturer, not American. Moreover all of Realtek's products are made in China.

> So, one may not need the firmware for the NIC even if the kernel wants it for some reason.

I am glad my machine is not the only one that behaves in a strange manner.