Re: Error message: Possible missing firmware during linux-image upgrade

On Mon, 26 May 2014 18:05:34 -0700 (PDT)
Horatio Leragon <hleragon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How does one find out if the Realtek Gigabit card is 8168B, 8168A, 8168E....?

lscpi, dmidecode, hwinfo.

First one comes out of the box in Debian.

> > Every time the kernel boots it complains about missing rtl8168e-3.fw, yet everything just works™.
>
> It happens to my machine too. During bootup, it tells me that the firmware-realtek is missing and yet I am able to use it for networking. Strange.

No, that means you're lucky to have the hardware that doesn't need any
firmware at all.

> > And I don't want to load this blob into my card as it might as well setup port mirroring to the nearest NSA datacenter
>
> Are you serious? Realtek is a Taiwanese manufacturer, not American. Moreover all of Realtek's products are made in China.

I was joking, of course. Still, I don't know what this firmware does.
And nobody short of Realtek do.

Reco