OT: GNOME-Terminal is blank or inactive in Awesome WM on Debian 7

On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 11:21 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:55:14 +0100
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>

> > Another possibility is that it is working fine, but with black text.
> > No, I'm not joking, I've seen this more than once. You could try
> > typing the name of an application you know will run from the
> > terminal. If that works, dig into the terminal profile settings and
> > select the system colours (or deselect if this is already selected).
>
> When I suspect this (usually on web pages), I highlight the whole
> thing. Background-colored text then shows up.

Or use a browser that is able to disable the page style ;). For
Firefox/Iceweasel, assumed you enabled the menu bar, it's
View > Page Style > No Style
instead of "Basic Page Style. To enable the menu bar for current
versions of Firefox/Iceweasel right click somewhere at the top and check
"Menu Bar".