Re: Setting up a home gateway/router

On 05/24/2014 11:43 AM, Reco wrote:
<snip>
# service networking restart

Good intention on your part, but this is bad advice.

In /etc/init.d/networking 'force-reload' and 'restart' methods are
marked as deprecated. Specifically corresponding script says:

log_warning_msg "Running $0 $1 is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces"

A good, Debian-supported way to do this is:

service networking stop; service networking start

You're right. I remember that now (was a couple months ago).

Given that host in question probably lacks a console, above commands
should go into exactly one line.

PS. Why would anyone would run NetworkManager (better
called NetworkDestroyer) willingly on a router is beyond me :)

Heh. Guilty of missing the rest of the thread...

( crawls back under his rock )

John Bleichert    -    syborg@earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!