Re: Setting up a home gateway/router

 Hi.

On Sat, 24 May 2014 10:36:23 -0400
John Bleichert <syborg@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You may have to restart the networking or network-manager service or
> just reboot. I had to when I first setup static. Not sure why but it
> needed more than ifdown/ifup.
>
> e.g.:
>
> # service networking restart

Good intention on your part, but this is bad advice.

In /etc/init.d/networking 'force-reload' and 'restart' methods are
marked as deprecated. Specifically corresponding script says:

log_warning_msg "Running $0 $1 is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces"

A good, Debian-supported way to do this is:

service networking stop; service networking start

Given that host in question probably lacks a console, above commands
should go into exactly one line.

PS. Why would anyone would run NetworkManager (better
called NetworkDestroyer) willingly on a router is beyond me :)

Reco