Re: Icedove and Thunderbird

On Wed, 21 May 2014 10:42:32 -0400
Ethan Rosenberg <erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com> wrote:

> Dear List -
>
> I installed Icedove and cannot get the desktop icon to work.  I would
> get a pop up asking me if I wanted to 1]open in terminal 2] view or
> 3] run. When I clicked view there was a message that it required a
> XFCE panel. I surely do NOT want XFCE as a desktop manager.  If there
> is a work-around, I'll use it.  Otherwise I'll install Thunderbird.
> I've tried this previously, downloading the tar file, extracting it
> and trying to get Thunderbird to work, with no avail.
>
> So..
> 1] Is there a work-around?

You mention the desktop icon specifically, and I suspect the problem is
there somehow. Can you run Icedove from the Internet menu, or directly
from a console prompt? I would suspect so, as Icedove doesn't seem to
have any dependencies that connect with Xfce, nor should it. I have
both installed here, but I used to use Icedove back in my Gnome days,
before Xfce was installed. I've got used to the slight bugginess but
vastly quicker performance of Claws now.

If Icedove runs by other methods, you might investigate the icon. My
menu shows the command required to run Icedove is just icedove, as
would be expected as the full path is /usr/bin/icedove. It shouldn't be
offering choices about opening Icedove, certainly not 'view', though I
would have thought that you should try the 'run' option before going
any further.

--
Joe