Re: Icedove and Thunderbird

On 21/05/14 15:42, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
I installed Icedove and cannot get the desktop icon to work.  I would
get a pop up asking me if I wanted to 1]open in terminal 2] view or 3]
run. When I clicked view there was a message that it required a XFCE
panel. I surely do NOT want XFCE as a desktop manager.  If there is a
work-around, I'll use it.  Otherwise I'll install Thunderbird. I've
tried this previously, downloading the tar file, extracting it and
trying to get Thunderbird to work, with no avail.

What window manager and/or desktop environment *are* you using? Nobody is going to be able to answer your questions confidently and correctly unless you include all the relevant information.

My initial impression is that you've tried to manually construct a very minimal X11 environment, and have left out something important in the process - but I wouldn't expect someone who wants a graphical mail client to also want that kind of very minimal X11 environment, so I guess I'm probably wrong.