Re: Systemd and vt9

On 5/21/14, Filip <filip@fbvnet.be> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:49:06 +1200
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:53:04PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> > So can anyone who is actually using Systemd now (I am still on
>> > Wheezy, BTW) tell me if this is going to be an issue for me?  Can I
>> > do this once my box has been converted to Systemd?  What about that
>> > root login on vt9?
>>
>> Don't convert to systemd then. Systemd is going to be the default init
>> system for new installs. If on an upgrade you find that you are
>> running systemd you won't be the only one upset! That is when the
>> sh*t will really hit the fan.
>
> Too late, I have already upgraded before I knew I was supposed to be
> terrified of it. Will it take long before bad things start to happen ?

That's melodramatic.

I had some problems with my /etc/fstab file, since I had two bind
mounts and some interesting stuff there.

I straightened that out, and was booting again.

Then, I needed an extra argument to my command line startx command,
since that's how I start X.

The permissions things I'd fixed late last year when I first tested systemd.

Other than that, it's a faster boot, and a faster shutdown,
anecdotally and subjectively, but definitely noticeably.

The closer to stock-standard install you are, the easier _should_ be
your upgrade to systemd init. If it's already happened, and
everything's running for you, you're gold! Nothing to worry about now
:)

Enjoy your faster reboots,
Zenaan