Re: Debian 5 -- "data" is plural.

On 20 May 2014, Weaver wrote:

[snip]

> This is only currently in the context of scientific literature and even
> perhaps dying out in that context, over time, also.
>
> It descends from English language inheritance of Latin language
> terminology, and the English language is moving on, as language ever does.
>
> At present, within the context of scientific documentation, this is
> correct, but elsewhere, no longer necessary.
> Cheers!
>
> Weaver (Technical Communicator)

Pedantic or not, I'd never treat data or media as singular. An still
worse usage, which I find even with some scientific speakers, is to use
bacteria as singular. If we are going to anglicise the word, which I
think is a defensible view, we should make the plural to be
bacteriums.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk