Re: systemd - excessive session-creation time

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 5/20/14, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I use Fluxbox on Fedora without a DM so I'm familiar with the
>> interaction of logind and xinit but I don't see how my reply to your
>> post had anything to do with X or tty7.
>
> Erwan suggested startx with the option to run X on the tty from which
> X is started, as a (partial, not complete) solution to my problem. His
> suggestion was useful and did indeed solve part of my 'problem'.
>
> I don't think his reply to your post was a direct response to your
> post - he was just adding something to the discussion that might help
> me, and it did. Your post was not direct answer to my problem, but
> still useful and I now make use of that information, so thanks Tom,
> thanks Erwan.

You're welcome.

AFAIK, running X on the VT where you're logged in is the standard
logind/systemd way; logind is different from consolekit in that a
login via getty is a logind-authenticated session so there's no need
for a binary that's equivalent to "ck-session-launch".

So if you don't pass your current VT to xinit, a new terminal's
allocated and you won't be logind-authenticated on it.

I've just had a thought as I'm typing so this is untested and might be
total bull but if you run 'su -l <user> -c "xinit --
vt<not_the_current_vt_num>"' or 'sudo -u <user> "xinit --
vt<not_the_current_vt_num>"' you might have a logind-authenticated
session for the X terminal.