systemd - excessive session-creation time

Although initial tty session (from boot) is quicker than with
sysvinit, additional tty sessions are very slow to start, in the order
of 5 seconds (which seems like an eternity).

Additionally, this slow tty/session creation time is seen when:
*) exiting X - ie logout back to terminal (from startx)
*) Shutdown from XFCE logout/shutdown dialog

When exiting X from a startx at the linux tty, there appears to be a
large session tear-down time.

In addition, a similarly long duration is seen when (as stated)
starting another linux vt.

I'm not sure my Subject line is accurate, it's just my guess.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

TIA
Zenaan