Re: Large File Systems - Enough inodes?

On 5/20/2014 12:00 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 21/05/14 04:24, Sven Hartge wrote:
> I like to create filesystems relatively small, on LVM, so that any of
> them can be grown later, when I find out where the space is needed. But
> extending an ext(2|3|4) filesystem doesn't create new inodes, so the
> ratio of inodes to space drops, and eventually this is a problem.
>
>> And if you really want to be on the safe side: use XFS.
>
> And that's my solution.

The reason for this is two fold.  First, xfs gives you plenty of inodes
to begin with, and xfs_growfs adds more inodes as well as additional
free space when you grow an LV.  Example using mkfs.xfs defaults:

Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6      xfs     94G  6.4G   87G   7% /home

Filesystem    Type    Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda6      xfs       94M    7.1K     94M    1% /home

1 million inodes per gigabyte.

Cheers,

Stan