Re: Large File Systems - Enough inodes?

Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:

> I am buying two new SATA hard drives:   1TB and  2TB.

> I'd like to use the 2TB unit for backups (typical Linux directories
> and files) ... with just a single file system (ext4 most likely).

> Will 'mkfs' create "enough" inodes?  Or, would it be better to, say,
> split the 2TB into four 500GB file systems.  Or, some other approach?

I have in my 15 years as Linux admin only run out if inodes in two
cases:

 a) INN2 usenet server with traditional spool which contained a metric
    sh*t ton of very very small files. Needed to recreate the filesystem
    with a bytes-per-inode size of 1024.

 b) squid2 spool directory. Also a motherlode of very small files.

In all other cases the defaults of mke2fs were sane and no need for
further tuning was needed. Just look at the inode/byte ratio of the
filesystems you want to backup. Your destination will show the same
ratio.

And if you really want to be on the safe side: use XFS.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.