Re: Max number of loop devices OR "efficient search of Debian documentation"

The Wanderer a écrit :

> What does 'modprobe -r loop' do to any active loop devices?

Nothing.

> I would expect it to either error out without removing the module if any
> loop devices are in use,

As usual when the module is in use.

> or automatically shut the loop devices down.

That would be insane.

> If that's correct, then that might explain why the max_loop sysfs file
> is read-only.

Not IMO. That a feature may fail is not a reason to not implement it.
Otherwise removing a module would not even be implemented, because it
may fail when the module is in use.

> If it were not, then what happens if you reduce it below
> the number of currently active loop devices?

Just as usual : if there is at least one active loop device beyond the
new limit -> fail the write and do nothing. However, I believe users
would mostly need the feature to increase the number of loop devices,
not to reduce it : "oops, I just need more loop devices !"