Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On 2014-05-17 21:21 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 17/05/2014 20:57, Sven Joachim a écrit :
>> On 2014-05-17 19:58 +0200, Martin Vegter wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am wondering whether systemd will be mandatory in Jessie.
>>> At the moment, I can install Jessie without systemd. Will this stay so,
>>> or will this change somewhere before Jessie becomes stable?
>> Depending on your needs, installing systemd might be mandatory in
>> unstable already (e.g. gdm3 indirectly depends on it), but you do _not_
>> have to install systemd-sysv and thus make it the default init system.
>
> So systemd-sysv is the real systemd ? or is there someting else ?

The systemd-sysv package contains "only" a few manpages and symlinks
which replace binaries found in sysvinit, most notably /sbin/init which
is PID 1.  Everything else lives in the systemd package which you can
install along sysvinit (and boot with init=/bin/systemd to try it out).

>>> I have servers running Jessie. Can I continue upgrading packages on a
>>> regular basis, without having to worry that one of these updates will
>>> uninstall half of my system and install systemd instead (and make my
>>> servers unbootable) ?
>> Why would installing systemd remove half of your system, and why do you
>> expect that your servers will not boot with systemd as init?
>
> Because systemd changes everythçing, is not mature, that people already
> had problems (fstab had to be changed in some cases)

There are currently problems with NFS mounts, those prevent the package
in unstable back from migrating to testing[1].  If you don't have
inaccessible filesytems in fstab, there should be no need to change
anything.

> that even the
> debian systemd wiki says some existing features are not supported (yet
> ?) and stay silent on other (eg. I have a policy-rc.d script, how to
> migrate it).

Maintainer scripts are supposed to use invoke-rc.d which knows about
systemd, and AFAIK nothing changes wrt policy-rc.d.

> Systemd also completeley change the log systems (see
> journald) and nowhere can I see explanations on the new one, and how to
> migrate.

Logs are forwarded to the syslog daemon, so you don't have to learn
anything new if you don't want to.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746358