Re: Xfce4, systemd - shutdown via builtin-dialog isn't working

Happy to receive guidance on new vs old threads...

On 4/1/13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 31 Mar 2013 at 20:23:39 +0200, Armin Maisch wrote:
>> When I want to log off from Xfce by using the xfce-dialog I find three
>> buttons there: logoff (which is working as it should, reboot, which is
>> just grey and unclickable and the shutdown-one, which is also grey and
>> unclickable.

I am back to this same problem, only "logout" appears, and even that
does not switch back to console 1 (from where I started with startx).

> There is a README in /usr/share/doc/xfce4-session. Its advice works for
> me.

I used this advice to get my sysvinit setup working last year.

I had followed (and checked again now) the steps on both README and
README.Debian.

Now, with the latest upgrades of sid, I had a non-booting machine;
tried init = sysvinit, and it was no longer installed. I was pretty
sure I hadn't decided to hard-switch to systemd with the particular
package install suggested to do that. Anyway...

So I tried init=/bin/sh, which booted, but failed to mount relevant
drives, and I for some reason couldn't figure out what to do.

Managed to rescue boot and clean up (again) my fstab and got things
booting with systemd.

I have no display manager.

I _want_ NO display manager.

I log in at terminal and run "startx; exit" (as a shell function). Yes, XFCE4.

I have .xinitrc which I renamed (per the README advice above) to .xsessionrc

X session starts.

Logout and shutdown dialog only enables logout.

Logout appears to sort of logout (stop x display manager), but then
freezes on a slightly whacko X background with black windows etc.

Never goes back to the virtual linux console from whence I started. Grrr.

OK, so CTRL-ALT-F1 (or CTRL-ALT-1 bizarrely seemed to work too).

Also, I would like to see Shutdown and Suspend enabled, of course.

So I finally get back to linux console, log in again to console, and
sudo shutdown.

systemd mostly shuts down, but doesn't power off.

Grrr #2.

Any assistance on these issues appreciated.

TIA
Zenaan