Re: Re: Debian Linux 7 and Realtek soundcards

If this doesn't work:

$ lspci | grep audio

Use instead:

$ lspci | grep -i audio

On Sunday, 11 May, 2014 03:06 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 11/05/14 16:53, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

I have this weekend, managed to install Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce version
onto a laptop computer.

However, the sound does not work.

Ouch. But easily fixed.

In searching, I have found that the laptop apparently has a Realtek
soundcard (and, an inbuilt Intel something soundcard thing).
That covers a wide range of devices. Could you be more specific please?
e.g. the output of:-
$ lspci | grep audio

With Debian having eliminated "non-free" stuff from the official release
packages, I realize that, somewhere (it is not easy to find
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

, from the
Debian web site), "firmware" ISO's are available, that can install
"non-free" hardware drivers.

I am therefore wondering whether, somewhere, packages exist (.deb
packages, that make installation relatively easy for those of us not
skilled "in the black arts"), for the hardware drivers that may be on
the firmware ISO's.

By "installation" do you mean "drivers available *during*
installation"??  For the purposes of making available during installation?

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

(I have some small scripts I use to customise netinstall images if you
want, they extract the installer image, allow you to add a preseed.cfg
and firmware, then rebuild the iso for you).

If you mean *after* installing Debian, then yes.
firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-linux-free are the main packages.
$ apt-cache search firmware # for lots more

I do not know whether the firmware ISO's allow a user to choose which
desktop environment is installed,
Yes. They are identical to the "normal" install CDs, they just include
firmware.

and the procedure that I found, for
dealing with the .tar.bz files from the Realtek web site, seem too
complicated.
Do you have a link for that?

Thank you in anticipation, for constructive assistance.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

<snipped>