Re: Debian Linux 7 and Realtek soundcards

On 11/05/14 16:53, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have this weekend, managed to install Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce version
> onto a laptop computer.
>
> However, the sound does not work.

Ouch. But easily fixed.

> In searching, I have found that the laptop apparently has a Realtek
> soundcard (and, an inbuilt Intel something soundcard thing).

That covers a wide range of devices. Could you be more specific please?
e.g. the output of:-
$ lspci | grep audio

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>, from the
> Debian web site), "firmware" ISO's are available, that can install
> "non-free" hardware drivers.
>
> I am therefore wondering whether, somewhere, packages exist (.deb
> packages, that make installation relatively easy for those of us not
> skilled "in the black arts"), for the hardware drivers that may be on
> the firmware ISO's.

By "installation" do you mean "drivers available *during*
installation"??  For the purposes of making available during installation?

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

(I have some small scripts I use to customise netinstall images if you
want, they extract the installer image, allow you to add a preseed.cfg
and firmware, then rebuild the iso for you).

If you mean *after* installing Debian, then yes.
firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-linux-free are the main packages.
$ apt-cache search firmware # for lots more

> I do not know whether the firmware ISO's allow a user to choose which
> desktop environment is installed,

Yes. They are identical to the "normal" install CDs, they just include
firmware.

> and the procedure that I found, for
> dealing with the .tar.bz files from the Realtek web site, seem too
> complicated.

Do you have a link for that?

> Thank you in anticipation, for constructive assistance.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia