Re: Kernel fails to detect internal hard drives after routine apt-get upgrade

On 12/05/14 11:44, O wrote:

> Dear debian-users,
>
> A first-time post for me: I've never had a problem that was so serious.
>
> I've had Wheezy installed for many months now with default kernel
> 3.2.0-4-amd64.  Following a routine apt-get upgrade, the kernel cannot
> detect any of the internal drives.  After many *"ata#: reset failed,
> giving up"* and *"udevd: timeout"* errors, I am dropped to an initramfs
> Busybox prompt that cannot see any drives (fdisk -l sees nothing).
>
> Interestingly, I *can* boot into the old Squeeze kernel (2.7.x).  >From
> booting under the old kernel, I have tried:
>
> # apt-get remove linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
> # apt-get install linux-image-amd64
>
> # cd /boot; update-initramfs -k 3.2.0-4-amd64 -u
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get upgrade
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> All to no avail.  Interestingly, even the Debian 7.5 netinst CD will not
> see the drives, and asks me to select a driver (it makes no
> suggestions).  When I drop to a prompt in recovery mode (another BusyBox
> prompt), fdisk -l does not see any drives.

That 'proves' it. :/

> There is nothing exotic about my drives: they are four Western Digital 2
> TB internal hard drives.
>
> This one has me stumped.  I hope someone can help.  Please let me know
> if there is additional information I should post, or if there is
> somewhere else that I should be posting instead.  I would appreciate any
> leads.
>
> Thanks!

Check your BIOS, I'd bet it doesn't see any hard drives either. Please
check. If I'm correct then check your power and data cables and restart
the box.

If you had a problem due to the last `apt-get upgrade` I'd expect you'd
have mentioned seeing error messages when running `apt-get update &&
apt-get uprade`, and I'd expect there'd be some messages if there was a
problem. But you 'could' try `apt-get -sf install | more` just to check.

Kind regards