Re: Filespace exhaustion on '/' partition

Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> writes:

> On 11/05/2014 17:11, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> # lsof | grep deleted | wc -l
>
> # lsof | grep deleted | wc -l
> 3
> #
>
> But it took 3 or 4 seconds to count them. :)
> I was beginning to think, gosh, there must really be a lot of those.
>
> But it's a good point, Sven, because there still might be some issue
> that is keeping even 1 of those in some extended length, but deleted,
> file.  Maybe not, though, on '/'.
>
> I'll reboot the system at the end of the day.  Though it's a weekend,
> at the moment it'll be in use for a couple of hours, yet.

Another possibility to look into is that there might be files under your
mount points.  For example, you might have saved files under /usr on
your root filesystem, but later mounted a /usr filesystem on top without
deleting the files in the original filesystem.  The only way that I know
of to check that would be to check one filesystem at a time in single
user mode, or from a live CD.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org