Re: Default & supported service manager in Wheezy

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-05-10 22:40 +0200, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
>> <mihamina.rakotomandimby@rktmb.org> wrote:

>>> A long time ago, when I was young ;-), services used to be managed with
>>> "invoke-rc.d" & "update-rc.d" on Debian.
>>
>> I've never understood why, but "invoke-rc.d" and "update-rc.d" are
>> meant for maintainer scripts not users.
>
> This is true for invoke-rc.d, but not for update-rc.d. It is perfectly
> fine for the sysadmin to call "update-rc.d disable|enable foo", but not
> "update-rc.d remove foo".

Didn't I say in my post: There's an RFE for it to include a wrapper
around "update-rc.d enable|disable"?

>>> Know playing with several distributions, some use "service", "sysctl",
>>> "systemctl", and some of them are mentionned for managing services in
>>> Debian.
>>
>> "service" is a wrapper around "invoke-rc.d".
>
> Really? If I take a look at /sbin/service, it does not call invoke-rc.d.
>>
>> "systemctl" is systemd's service manager but it handles sysvinit init
>> scripts when they don't have a systemd equivalent, AFAIK by handing
>> over to update-rc.d/invoke-rc.d.
>
> It's the other way around, invoke-rc.d calls systemctl for various
> actions if it detects that systemd is PID 1.

It was a long day and was too tired to think clearly.

service doesn't call invoke-rc.d (or update-rc.d for that matter, at
least not yet).

systemctl doesn't call invoke-rc.d/update-rc.d for sysvinit scripts.
(I assume that it handles them directly in the same way that it
handles them in other distros.)

And service/invoke-rc.d/update-rc.d hand over to systemctl when called
for systemd services.