Re: Default & supported service manager in Wheezy

On 2014-05-10 22:40 +0200, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
> <mihamina.rakotomandimby@rktmb.org> wrote:
>

>> A long time ago, when I was young ;-), services used to be managed with
>> "invoke-rc.d" & "update-rc.d" on Debian.
>
> I've never understood why, but "invoke-rc.d" and "update-rc.d" are
> meant for maintainer scripts not users.

This is true for invoke-rc.d, but not for update-rc.d.  It is perfectly
fine for the sysadmin to call "update-rc.d disable|enable foo", but not
"update-rc.d remove foo".

>> Know playing with several distributions, some use "service", "sysctl",
>> "systemctl", and some of them are mentionned for managing services in
>> Debian.
>
> "service" is a wrapper around "invoke-rc.d".

Really?  If I take a look at /sbin/service, it does not call invoke-rc.d.

> "systemctl" is systemd's service manager but it handles sysvinit init
> scripts when they don't have a systemd equivalent, AFAIK by handing
> over to update-rc.d/invoke-rc.d.

It's the other way around, invoke-rc.d calls systemctl for various
actions if it detects that systemd is PID 1.

Cheers,
       Sven