you don\u2019t know if you don\u2019t ask

When copying and pasting some text from a text document into emacs, it starts
out as -
╭────
│Remember, most breast lumps are not cancerous, but you don't know if you don't ask.
╰────

but appears as -
╭────
│Remember, most breast lumps are not cancerous, but you don\u2019t know if you don\u2019t ask
╰────

As I've experimented, I've found that if I copy from a pdf in "evince" this is the original text
╭────
│Injection = £ 23.69 (US $ 44.53)
╰────

Which when pasted gives
╭────
│Injection = \u2194 23.69 (US \u2729 44.53)
╰────

So when it can't read something, it gives it its numeric coding.

The font being used is "DejaVu Sans Mono" which is emacs
default. So what font can render those symbols correctly from the
clipboard and is the same size as the present font? I've tried
"Ubuntu" and also "Times New Roman" but both failed the test. And I
can't find anything about it in google either.

But is there a system-wide solution, just in case it starts
happening in some other programme please?

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.90.1