Re: minimal X.org xserver installation on Debian Wheezy

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 12:29:55AM +0000, Martin T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Debian Wheezy with no desktop environment as I would like
> to use lightweight dwm window manager instead. However, as a first
> step, I need to install xserver. I would like to install minimal
> components needed for running the xserver. What are the exact
> components(binaries, libraries, configuration files, etc) needed to
> run xserver? Obviously xinit(starts X server session), but what else?
> Or are the components needed for running xserver so scattered that
> practically one needs to install xserver-xorg package which will
> handle all the dependencies needed?

apt-get  --no-install-recommends install xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg xinit libgl1-mesa-dri

xserver-xorg-video-intel - change to appropriate driver for you machine
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics - perhaps does not need, if it is not laptop
bgl1-mesa-dri - for 3D, optional

See dmesg(1) for above first two points.

Also, perhaps you need install xterm. I don't remember exactly, it is
default terminal emulator for me.

For errors, if X does not started, see ~/.xsession-errors and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log