Debian Linux 7 and Realtek soundcards

Hello.

I have this weekend, managed to install Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce version onto a laptop computer.

However, the sound does not work.

In searching, I have found that the laptop apparently has a Realtek soundcard (and, an inbuilt Intel something soundcard thing).

With Debian having eliminated "non-free" stuff from the official release packages, I realize that, somewhere (it is not easy to find, from the Debian web site), "firmware" ISO's are available, that can install "non-free" hardware drivers.

I am therefore wondering whether, somewhere, packages exist (.deb packages, that make installation relatively easy for those of us not skilled "in the black arts"), for the hardware drivers that may be on the firmware ISO's.

I do not know whether the firmware ISO's allow a user to choose which desktop environment is installed, and the procedure that I found, for dealing with the .tar.bz files from the Realtek web site, seem too complicated.

Thank you in anticipation, for constructive assistance.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."