Re: Avoiding systemd

Greetings John,

El Sat, 10 de May 2014 a las 9:05 AM, John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> escribió:
After following the discussions of systemd (including everything on debian-devel), I find myself appalled at the rude and domineering attitudes of almost all systemd's defenders. I don't trust them. Accordingly, I'd like to keep systemd off my machine (sid) to the extent practical until things have had quite a while to shake out. Is it sufficient to install systemd-shim and add one or all of these stanzas to /etc/apt/preferences? If just one, which?

Package: systemd Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100

The systemd package includes a ton of software, including what I think is four daemons that are necessary for a modern Linux desktop (timedated, hostnamed, localed, and (most importantly) logind). You will need to install this package usually.

Package: systemd-sysv Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100

This is probably the only thing you are going to need if you want to make sure you do not run systemd as pid 1. (Unless your friend changes your grub command line :). If you have systemd-shim installed, then this pin should never have to take effect, but if somebody decides that systemd-shim is not a suitable replacement for systemd-sysv with regards to their package's needs, then the update of that person's package will be held back until you manually intervene.

Package: libpam-systemd Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100

I think this is a dependency of poke it polkit. I am not sure why, but I assume there is good reason for it. Anyway, you are probably going to need it. If you have systemd-shim installed, then libpam-systemd will do fine w/o systemd as PID 1.

Thanks for practical help. I'm not looking for more flames.

I hope I was able to help. Please do not assume bad faith by the systemd maintainers + proponents, though; that is toxic.

Best regards,
--
Cameron Norman