Re: Avoiding systemd

Le 10/05/2014 21:49, Cameron Norman a écrit :
> Greetings John,
>
> El Sat, 10 de May 2014 a las 9:05 AM, John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com>
> escribió:
>> After following the discussions of systemd (including everything on
>> debian-devel), I find myself appalled at the rude and domineering
>> attitudes of almost all systemd's defenders. I don't trust them.
>> Accordingly, I'd like to keep systemd off my machine (sid) to the
>> extent practical until things have had quite a while to shake out. Is
>> it sufficient to install systemd-shim and add one or all of these
>> stanzas to /etc/apt/preferences? If just one, which?
>
>> Package: systemd Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100
>
> The systemd package includes a ton of software, including what I think
> is four daemons that are necessary for a modern Linux desktop
> (timedated, hostnamed, localed, and (most importantly) logind). You
> will need to install this package usually.

Could you explain in what they are necessary ? I have none of them, in
what is my linux not "modern" ? And why should we be "modern" ?

>> Package: systemd-sysv Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100
>
> This is probably the only thing you are going to need if you want to
> make sure you do not run systemd as pid 1. (Unless your friend changes
> your grub command line :). If you have systemd-shim installed, then
> this pin should never have to take effect, but if somebody decides
> that systemd-shim is not a suitable replacement for systemd-sysv with
> regards to their package's needs, then the update of that person's
> package will be held back until you manually interven

I have none of them it works. However how could I be sure that my
disabled services will stay as is (but I am still able to start them
manually), same thing for my policy-rc.d script, what will happen of it.

>> Package: libpam-systemd Pin: origin * Pin-Priority: -100
>
> I think this is a dependency of poke it polkit. I am not sure why, but
> I assume there is good reason for it. Anyway, you are probably going
> to need it. If you have systemd-shim installed, then libpam-systemd
> will do fine w/o systemd as PID 1.
>
>> Thanks for practical help. I'm not looking for more flames.
>
> I hope I was able to help. Please do not assume bad faith by the
> systemd maintainers + proponents, though; that is toxic.

I just say I do not see any advantages in systemd, but that it will
breaks many working configuration (last I heard of : systemld won't work
with a standard fstab if you use nfs you must use systemd specific
options : for me it is a serious bug (breaks other packages).