Re: Is Debian still Debian?

On Sat 10 May 2014 at 10:54:21 +0200, Slavko wrote:

> in last weeks (or months?) i see a lot of daily updates in Debian
> testing. I am using the testing for years and i am surprised by this.

You are surprised that Debian developers are readying testing for the
coming freeze by updating software and fixing bugs?

> I encounter with this some years ago, when i was uisng Ubuntu as LTSP
> server, where i get 18 (by word eighteen) kernel updates in one year,
> and most of them involves some problem - not big problems, but all was
> needed to solve. Then i switch to Debian due more stability (IMHO, by
> more precise work of Debian maintainers).

Ah. Your objective seems to be some Ubuntu bashing.

> Now it seems, that the Debian is Ubuntized. The work is going quick

Confirmed - this continues the theme.

> (and then not very good). As example, there is a CUPS package. It
> changes (taken from changelog) more times by month, see some latest:
>
> 04 May 2014 12:18:32 +0200
> 02 May 2014 15:54:20 +0200
> 10 Apr 2014 22:05:22 +0200
> 09 Apr 2014 21:04:57 +0200
> 01 Apr 2014 08:00:00 +0200
> 31 Mar 2014 10:00:00 +0200
> 20 Mar 2014 22:00:41 +0100
> 18 Mar 2014 19:34:44 +0100
> 12 Mar 2014 12:03:14 +0100
> 27 Feb 2014 16:14:55 +0100
> 25 Feb 2014 12:06:47 +0100
> 18 Feb 2014 15:44:18 +0100
> 04 Feb 2014 15:31:13 +0100
> 20 Jan 2014 23:06:36 +0100
> 14 Jan 2014 10:03:37 +0100
> 09 Jan 2014 16:54:26 +0100
> 04 Jan 2014 15:46:02 +0100
> 03 Jan 2014 18:42:39 +0100

Up to 2/3 years ago cups was unmaintained. Now its present maintainer,
Didier Ramboud, assiduously devotes his own time to it and the printing
stack - and you complain. This must be a first in the history of Debian.

> And here are latest two entries from changelog (except the german
> manpage update - and i removed maintaner names):

You removed the names of people who have put in so much hard work to
provide us with a printing system? Don't you think they deserve
recognition?

[Changelogs snipped]

> There are three changes: 2 times Ubuntu, 4 time Ubuntu bugs fixed (and
> one Debian). Really are Debian users interested in Ubuntu problems?

It's called co-operation. You know, the sort of thing which advances
free software. There is an interplay between Debian, the Linux
Foundation (Till Kamppeter), Red Hat, Suse and Apple when it comes to
having a quality printing experience.

> Then i ask, what is in the subject. Are Debian repos still Debian's
> repos or there are quick Ubuntu's developers migrating into Debian with
> they chaotic job and using Debian for own (Ubuntu) purposes?
>
> But this question involves some another:

[Snipped: A variety of questions arising from flawed premises.]