Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 3 May 2014, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Sb, 03 mai 14, 14:28:32, Bret Busby wrote:

One thing that I note - in using the xfce version of the Debian 7.4 amd64, I
could not find (without entering the installation component) a hard disk
ustility, for partition work on the hard drive (like gparted, I think it
was, in GNOME 2 on Debian 6.x), to edit the partitioning on a Win 8
computer, before installing anything else on that computer. I looked in both
the Systems -> Admin and Systems -> Preferences, and, in the System
Utilities components of the menus, for a disk utility, for editing the
partitions, but, could not find one.

Not by default, but what prevents you from installing gparted?

Kind regards,
Andrei

I was running it from the LIVE ISO disk - I wanted to repartition the HDD, before commencing the installation (I wanted to try to install another OS, before installing Debian Linux 7, so that I could pick up the extra OS, with the GRUB bootloader scanning, when I installed Debian Linux 7).

I intend to look at it again, during next week; I believe that the partitioning during the (aborted) installation process, should have effected.

From memory, gparted was included in the Debian 6 and/or Debian 5 LIVE
ISO images, but, I could be wrong in that belief.

I assume that the ommission of gparted from the Debian 7.4 amd64 xfce LIVE ISO, is because gparted is a utility from the GNOME desktop environment, and that xfce does not have an equivalent utility. Once again, I could be wrong in that perception.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."