Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On 03/05/14 06:29, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 02 May 2014 at 13:30:07 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> Not unless you go to individual package selection (if something like
>>> this is still available in expert mode). You can select the Desktop
>>> Environment in the boot menu of any image.
>>
>> Earlier versions of the Wheezy installer did.  I haven't tried 7.5.  Just
>> choose expert install, choose the desktop you want, return to installation.
>> I have used this several times without any problems.
>
> Choosing a DE *after* booting d-i is not possible and, as far as I can
> remember, there has never been such an option.

It's not hard (tasksel), - but if the 'user' wants, they can. It's a
whole lot less hard to start the install with a plan (based on a little
research) and choose the desktop at the start of the install.

NOTE: you don't have to use "expert" to choose an alternative desktop at
the start of the install.

> To get to 'Expert install' you have to also choose 'Advanced options'.
> This is a challenge for those who think more than a single keystroke or
> having to read the boot screen is an infringement of their human rights.

:)
But it 'should' be easier (and the world shouldn't have sharp corners or
bad weather).
No wonder 'we' are not winning the desktop war. (sigh)

Kind regards