Re: SMART data, should I change my HDD?

Well,

KS wrote:
Hi,

I was checking one of my systems and the SMART data for /dev/sda came
out as below. Should I change it to avoid loosing data? If not, which
information in SMART data indicates that it is time to do it?

Thanks,
KS
-------------------
smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [x86_64-linux-3.2.34-std312-amd64] (local
build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Black

My personal experience with WD drives is that Raw_Read_Error_Rate is the best indicator of drive degradation. In your case, it's 0, which is fine.

UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always
       -       0

But...... It looks like your drive has never actually run any tests:
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

Looks to me like the first thing you have to do is actually RUN some tests.

Try:
- smartctl -s on -A /dev/<whatever>

Miles Fidelman