Re: SMART data, should I change my HDD?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:13:49PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 28/04/14 07:20 PM, KS wrote:
> >Hmm.. I wonder why it is at 42C even though I'm running SysrescueCD via the
> >RAM on it.
> Drive temperature is usually higher than the case temperature because the
> drive is actually doing something. To keep the drive temperature down, you
> need to ensure adequate airflow over the drive. Fans that blow across the
> drive surface can do that. Keeping the case cool also helps, again requiring
> fans to keep a good airflow through the case. Also, don't keep your computer
> in a hot area.

Don't get too worked up about drive temperatures. They're not as important as
was once thought. The figures OP have provided are perfectly fine for his
drive. See this paper for more data about the correlation of temperature and
drive failures (and much more)

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf