Re: Systemd

On 20140425_1642-0700, David Glover-Aoki wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2014, at 03:04 pm, Dale Harris <rodmur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Soon systemd will just become the OS, there will be no Linux...

Look in Wikipedia for 'linux cgroups'. There is a lot of information
about what has happened internally to the Linux kernel, and a bunch of
projects that operate outside the kernel. There are a bunch of short
articles in Wikipedia that are worth looking at to get a top level
idea of what is going on. I started with 'linux cgroups', and
followed the 'see also' and hot links.

My user level view is that cgroups are a permanent new feature of Linux.
Systemd is not a 'replacement' for Linux, but a replacement for init, as we
had come to know it. The new version uses cgroup, and related new features
in the kernel, to reliably automate functions that were previously done
by shared control in user-space and kernel-space.

About the binary log file. My sense from reading the Wikipedia stuff
is that the 'binary log file' might more properly be called a journal
file in the sense that file systems ext3 and ext4 have a journal file,
i.e. temporary storage for critical, but ephemeral, internal
information. Its format is governed by its use within the kernel; not
by user wishful thinking.

It should be trivial for a skilled person to write a user-readable
traditional system log file, but the new kernel is seriously
multithreaded, and the result might not be useful to anyone. Certainly
the kernel developers are making progress on cgroups, et.al., without
an old style log. They must have developed new substitute diagnostic
tools.

> I am genuinely convinced that this is the ultimate goal of the systemd devs.

I am genuinely convinced that the ultimate goal of the systemd devs is
a better, more manageable kernel/init system. The old way will
continue to exist, but won't be the platform on which useful
innovation is implemented. IMHO

> --
> David Glover-Aoki | https://david.gloveraoki.net/contact
> PGP key 5518C7DE  | Amateur Radio KJ6TLX

Welcome to the future. I didn't like it either,
until I realized the alternative was much worse.
Cheers,
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net