Re: Systemd

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> We can expect a fork in the kernel fairly soon, about as soon as certain
> leaders in the community are confident they can make the current main branch
> the meaningless one going forward.

I'm a user, not a kernel dev, and definitely not someone who's majorly
into politics. A few years ago, unsatisfied with sysvinit, I started
installing Upstart on all my Debian systems, and apart from being
unable to use "apt-get dist-upgrade" (which asks to remove upstart and
reinstall sysvinit), everything worked fine. Now, with Debian Jessie
on the way, I've started learning systemd, because Upstart is
apparently a dead end, and systemd is the way to go.

Please, can someone explain - without too much on the politics, if
that's possible - whether it's right for me to invest time into
learning systemd? I get very tired of the endless arguments (Open
Office vs Libre Office, cdrecord vs wodim, ffmpeg vs avconv - at least
in those cases, the replacement is mostly drop-in), and frankly, I
have a highly pragmatic approach to my init system: it should boot my
system, and it should be possible for me to configure a program to be
invoked. So is systemd the future, or are we going to have another
massive argument?

ChrisA