Re: In Squeeze replacing python version 2.6.6-13~bpo60+1 with version 2.6.6-3+squeeze7

On 2014-04-23 18:32, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 23 apr 14, 11:25:50, Ken Heard wrote:
>>>
>>> 0. Make sure your packages are ok
>>>
>>> dpkg --audit
>>
>> Command returned nothing.
>
> Good.
>
>>> 1. Confirm which packages need to be downgraded
>>>
>>> aptitude search '?narrow(?installed,?origin(backports))'
>>
>> This command also returned nothing.
>
> Oups, forgot they are not in backports *anymore*. Try this instead
>
> aptitude search '?narrow(?installed?version(bpo))'

Ran this command, and only the following was returned.

E: Expected ',', got ')'.

>>> 2. Make sure you have all needed debs downloaded locally, *in
>>> advance*.
>>
>> Do you mean creating a local repository for the two debs I need,
>> adding that repository to /etc/apt/sources.list and running
>> apt-get update?  The two packages I want to install are already
>> in the squeeze repository.
>
> No, I mean download the .deb files.

Okay.

>>> For safety you should probably also have the debs of packages
>>> currently installed so you can revert if something goes wrong.
>>>
>>> If you didn't clean apt's cache these will be in
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives,
>>
>> That directory contains only 123 deb files; obviously many more
>> than 125 are currently installed.  I have never consciously
>> cleaned the cache.  Does something in a chron file perhaps clean
>> it periodically?
>>
>>> otherwise download them from snapshot.debian.org.
>>
>> I looked at the website, it would be quite an effort to find a
>> date which would cover the current state of all packages
>> installed in the box.  I would doubtless miss many.
>
> Not all packages, just the debs for python and python-minimal
> corresponding to your installed versions.

Understood.  Makes the search task much easier.

>>> 3a. use dpkg --force-depends to remove python and
>>> python-minimal
>>>
>>> dpkg --force-depends --purge python python-minimal
>>
>> If I understand it correctly, --force-depends will warn me of
>> broken dependencies only; it will not remove package chains which
>> will not work when those two packages are removed.
>
> dpkg is a low level tool, if you ask it to remove (just) python and
>  python-minimal it will not try to be smart and remove more.
> However, without the --force switch it will refuse to do it,
> because it would result in broken dependencies.

Understood.

>>> 3b. use dpkg to install the stable versions
>>>
>>> dpkg --install <stable deb files>
>>
>> As the two files I want are already in old stable (squeeze), and
>> that is where /etc/apt/sources.list points to, surely all I would
>> need to do is merely list them.
>
> sources.list is for apt, dpkg needs .deb files.

So <stable deb files> here means the whole file, not just the name as
is done in apt-get and aptitude, e.g., python*.deb -- replacing the
asterisk with all the information between the name and the extension.

>>> Alternatively you can also use
>>>
>>> dpkg --force-downgrade --install <stable deb files>
>>>
>>> but my feeling is that purging and installing is safer.
>>
>> Probably, but setting up a reverting backup as you described does
>> not inspire confidence.  Perhaps it would be better to do without
>> printing -- I do not have another printer -- until I can upgrade
>> to Wheezy in a month or two.  I could live with that option but
>> with bad grace.
>
> That is your choice to make.

In the meantime between posts I managed to resuscitate an older HP
Deskjet which I can use while in another box I get Wheezy and the new
printer to work.  I still however want to try your proposed solution
in the Squeeze box when there is no longer any danger if something is
irrevocably broken, and report the results to the list.

Regards, Ken