Re: UEFI install

On 23.04.2014 14:57, Theodore Alcapotaxis wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Steve McIntyre
Sent: 04/23/14 10:25 PM
To: Corey Blair
Subject: Re: UEFI install

Gah, yet another person using unetbootin. It's responsible for a lot of problem reports we're seeing these days. It's totally unnecessary unetbootin will not start the installer in the right way, and AFAIK won't do the right things with UEFI either.

Well, I have to disagree with you.

I have been using Unetbootin for the past two years to "burn" Linux
distros such as Debian (Squeeze and Wheezy), Ubuntu (from versions 12
to 13) and Linux Mint on to a USB flash/thumb drive and then using it
to install on to my hard disk drive without even a single problem.

I've got 2 laptops I've recently installed with Debian 7.4 using a UEFI from a bootable USB. I found unetbootin was useless though I'd used it before in the past to make boot USB. In this instance I simply 'cp debian-7.4.iso /dev/sdX' where /dev/sdX was my USB drive. Seemed odd just doing a cp but it actually worked flawlessly and was what I found the release notes recommended. In the case of one of my laptops I then had to immediately upgrade to Jessie to get certain hardware working given the new hardware devices it had.