Re: auto blanking screen is not working

On Mon 21 Apr 2014 at 17:14:13 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-04-21 at 16:06 +0100, Brian wrote:
> > So it is quite possible the OP may have to look to getting screen
> > blanking to work within gnome3 using power management.
>
> I only can disable screen blanking by e.g. Xfce's power manager, after I
> disabled it by xorg.conf, it might be possible to use ~/.xsessionrc too.
> However, it can be enabled by a power manager, when it's disabled by
> xorg.conf, but it can't be disable using e.g. Xfce's power manger, if
> it's not disabled by xorg.conf.

I think I've now unconfused myself. :) Being inclined to install minimal
systems with Xfce4 or a WM such as fvwm I mixed up power management with
xscreensaver. Installing xscreensaver means it takes over from any xset
settings in a configuration file; which makes sense. Purge xscreensaver,
log out and back into Xfce4 and what is in ~/.xsessionrc takes effect.

As an aside, the only reason I proposed ~/.xsessionrc rather than
~/.xsession as the file to put the xset command in is that I anticipated
the OP's setup with gdm3 may not use ~/.xsession. Not wanting to lead
him up one blind alley I then possibly went up another.