Re: Heartbleed

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> Or Apple, sacrifices your
> security by wordsmithing. According to them, they don't get malware, their
> computers just have "unwanted programs."

Not ever being an Apple user, I hadn't heard that before. When I read
your post, I fell off the chair laughing. One more reason why I doubt if
I will ever use an Apple computer or anything else.

I had pretty much the same reaction. I was listening to Tracy Holtz on the techie geek podcast, and he was relating the story. He used to run a PC repair shop, and a customer brought his or her Mac in to have it cleaned. They had apparently taken it to the "genius" bar more than once, and they said there was no virus. So they took it to Tracy, who cleaned it and then billed it back to Apple. The regional director of marketing was the one who told him that...

That said, I have a (work) iphone 4 that I absolutely loathe because of the walled garden. I have a Nokia N900 that i use for media playback, and I have a set of bluetooth headphones, which I have paired with both. I turned off the HFP and HSP (hands-free and headset profiles) on the N900, but in order to turn off the multimedia profiles on the iphone, I have to buy a $5.99 app. While I can afford that, I refuse to buy an app for a work phone, and I especially refuse to buy an app to do something that took me about 6 seconds in vim on the N900...