Re: Matrox G450 PCI DVI with modern xorg ?

Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> writes:
(snip)
> I am afraid to say this, but: G450 DVI with modern Xorg does not work
> and will never work, because you need the closed source proprietary HAL
> for this which has not been updated since a long long time.
>
> I tried to get this to work several years ago, trying everything, even
> binary patching mga_hal.so with some information gathered from Usenet
> and forums.
(snip)

Thanks very much Sven: sorry you had to waste so much time, but at least
you thereby saved me from doing likewise! I've bought a ATI Radeon 7500
via eBay, let's see if that's a useful replacement for this old system.
(I've already been having luck with xorg with an ATI Radeon 9600 in a
newer system that can take such things.)

-- Mark